Wednesday 29 August 2007

I thought i'd start this blog to reminise all the wonderful pony books I loved as a child and still collect, and probably love equally as much, today. My addiction to horses goes back as long as I can remember, just seeing one go past the house or out of the car window was a cause of great excitement and I devoured every pony book I could lay my hands on. I had some handed on to me by my mum, was lucky enough to grow up when Jinny, Jill, PT's etc etc were readily available from WHSmiths and the like and had all the pony books from the local library on constant renewal by using every member of my family's tickets so I could have them all. A little unfair on others maybe but hey I didn't care it was nearly as good as owning them, children don't think about being selfish do they?

My more recent addiction came about when I found a copy of DPT's 3 Ponies and Shannon, this is a title I had always wanted but never had as a child so had to have it! Then shortly afterwards, don't ask how, I found some of my old pony books in the recycling bin at my mums. I admit I had not taken them with me when I moved out but that didn't mean I didn't want them did it! Needless to say I fished them out, took them and the ones that hadn't reached the bin home and asked about the others. The reply to which was I've been throwing them for weeks a box at a time........It would seem my mum, who I love dearly I must add, had managed to recycle dozens of books including some quite rare books and first editions of I'd Rather Not Gallop, Mystery On The Moor (I know possibly the hardest to find pony book ever.....please, please anyone got a copy?) lots of the Jacky books and numerous other books, most of which I only remember when I see a picture of. She thought they were old and smelly can you believe!

I am now trying to re-buy my childhood collection but alas do get side tracked and now own books I never had but wanted and also books I had never heard of before. I know I shouldn't but the voices in my head say 'Buy me, Buy me' and well I am weak...the voices usually win!

No comments: