Friday 7 December 2007


I'm a happy bunny. I've just bought copies of Sabre the Horse From the Sea and the Mandrake....just need Crab now! To think I passed over one about a year ago because it was £20....and one just made £50 on EBay. Never Mind.


Posted a book to Japan, of all places, today (a PT sisters one), which got me thinking about pony book collectors around the world. I cannot imagine there being much of a market for vintage pony books in Japan, but could be very wrong. I know there are loads of collectors in Australia and America, and both these countries like the UK have a high volume of home grown, if you like, pony book authors past and present. However it does seem that the vintage English books fill a high percentage of spaces in the most collected books category, along with Elyne Mitchell's Brumby books of course. There would appear to be or have been a large German market for English pony authors too as many of our scarcer titles are available in German for pennies (if only they'd take pay pal that is?) and I have seen Swedish editions of Primrose Cumming and Elyne Mitchell books but do we have any translated works ourselves? I cannot think of any off hand. I am intrigued now as to whether any other nationalities around the world have a passion for children's pony books too.



Just thought...of course we have at least one translated book...A Pony In The Luggage, which I loved when younger. Winning a pony in a lottery, if I remember correctly, and then hiding it in hotels and on a train....before it ends up residing in the garage.......utter madness but very enjoyable! I think the characters were called Nicholas ans Anna and the pony Danny, but whether these were changed or not is debatable. Danny in particular dosen't appear very Swedish to me?



Must say it's the vintage English books for me every time, although there are some wonderful Austrailian stories, not least Elyne Mitchell's but also Mary Patchett and I like Eugeme Lumbers Blue Ribbon and Waminda (Helen Barratt?) too. The American books on the whole didn't do it for me although there again I love Can I get there By Candlelight by Jean Slaughter Doty.


1 comment:

Bowleserised said...

I'm no expert on German pony culture, but judging by the number of pony magazines and pony accessories (bags, notebooks, pencil cases) for girls here in east Berlin, I'd say ponies were bigger here than in the UK.

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany and Holland all seem to be pretty pony crazy.