Sunday 16 September 2007

Throw away society?

Back to work with a bang! Had little time to do anything as just can't get back into swing of things. I did however finish Heronsbrooke Gymkhana and can confirm a happy ending all round and the corners well and truly rubbed off the unpopular and stuck up one (every good pony book has one...think June Cresswell, Sarah Rook, Celia Grunter etc etc to name but a few).

I also found time to read K M Peytons High Horse Trilogy, which lead me to the title of this post. I am a great fan of K M Peytons work, especially her pony books, her books are beautifully written with believable and very real characters both human and equine. She is also not compelled to have a happy ever after ending and her books cover a wide range of subjects and ages. So many authors churn out the same but different time and time again, or 'borrow' a plot from several other books and chuck them in a blender (am I allowed to say that I wonder...well free speech and all that, I didn't mention any names did I ; )!
Back to Swallow books....At first when I realised the character was quite young I did wonder ( as I love her more grown up characters/books) but after a few pages I was hooked. Here is a book about a girl with a dream to own a pony, who yes does indeed get her dream pony. This is where it stops being like any other pony story of this subject as yes again she perseveres but to no avail. I though, ah yes but in Swallow Summer she will get there, but was wrong and was quite surprised by the twist the story took in Swallow The Star. I must say I was a little disappointed in how quickly Rowan got over the loss of Swallow and replaced him with Birdie but I guess this is a reflection of the throw away society we now live in and maybe how the author meant it to be perceived? I believe you offer a horse (indeed any animal) a home for life but sadly this is becoming less and less the case and the old cast off is quickly forgotten and replaced, as Swallow was. I guess K M Peyton was maybe also making the point that sometimes you have to realise a partnership is not going to work, however much you want it to and I guess there had to be consequences as the pony was not really ever Rowan's anyhow. For an author who deals with emotions and feelings so well usually i felt Rowan was a little cold and callous but maybe 12 year olds are? I wonder if there will be a spin off, so to speak, featuring Charlie, as I feel he is a character with great potential to fill another book or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the books sadly quite realistic, there are several young girls at my yard and only one has the same pony now that she arrived with. There is a growing trend instead of schooling to swap for a better model, that is until it stops winning through being ruined and the process re starts.

haffyfan said...

Sadly there does seem to be a growing trend in this direction. I blame the parents for allowing it! Although it makes you wonder if these people have any attachments/bonds to their horses and ponies to be able to swap them so easily? I wouldn't part with my horrors for the world.