Sunday 2 September 2007

The Worst Pony Book Ever?

I have just read my first pony book and not enjoyed a single bit of it! Usually they have some sort of redeeming feature but not this one I'm afraid. The offending title A Pony For Belinda by Mary Gervaise. I just could not get into it at all...I didn't like Belinda, or her pet Blackbird....whoever would have a wild bird as a pet anyhow?......she was a thoroughly dislikable character and the story was a complete non starter. I had started Another Pony For Belinda, hoping it would be better but have given it up as a bad job after the first two chapters. I bought these and Belinda wins her Spurs on account of the lovely dust wrappers and it just goes to show...never judge a book by it's cover....maybe the originator of this saying had had the misfortune to come across Belinda too? I have not read the Georgie and Spot books yet so hope these are not dire too?

On the plus side I am now reading a lovely book by a lesser known but excellent pony author Catherine Harris. It's title is The Heronsbrooke Gymkhana. Quite different to many pony books as it centres around one day and is split into three parts - before the gymkhana, during and after, which i am yet to get to. Before we are introduced to some of the competitors and find out a little about them before they all come together with mixed fortunes at the Gymkhana. It is a voyage of discovery for several of them and until I get chance to read further am unsure of the outcomes but would imagine everyone lives happily ever after, which is more than Belinda would if I had my way.

Thanks for your comments by the way......I think posting is possible now but they are still not compatible between here and the other site but who cares anyway.

No comments: